A reader asked:
“How do you cope when you’re not as high energy and positive as you would like?”
It’s a great question.
The first part I should note is awareness. If you’re aware that you’re not high energy, that’s a huge win.
Because it means you’re conscious of your behavior. If you’re conscious of it, you can change it.
After you’ve noticed your low energy, now it’s time to change it.
There are a few ways I like to “shock” the body when I notice myself slip into lower states of consciousness. Here are a few tools to add to your toolkit:
- Breathing. I haven’t done it in a while, but Wim Hof breathing was really important when I was first getting started. It was an incredible way to prime the body. You can follow this video to get started.
- Cold shower. 5 minutes straight. You’ll feel different before and after.
- Affirmations. Saying “I love myself” rewired my brain. The prescription: say it 10x/day minimum.
- Mentality Folder. Will write more about this in the future. This is like Affirmations on steroids.
- Walk outside (no phone). Resets the mind.
- Talk to a stranger. When we talk to others, it reminds us of how kind the far majority of people are. Easy to forget when we are in our heads.
- Meditate. Sit down. Focus on your breath for 20 or 60 minutes to start the day. Or if you feel like the day is getting away from you, just relax with 5 minutes.
Too often, when I’m not high energy… I can attribute the state to not doing one of these things.
Let me know if it works for you?
This is Day 2 of 14 of my daily writing challenge.